With God's help, the congregation of St. Stephen met our goals for Outreach and Missions in 2019. We are a small church, but our congregation is filled with big hearts! We reached out in the name of our Lord to minister to the needs of those in both local and international communities and touched the lives of many.
With the Lord's guidance and help in 2020, we continue to work together to love others and serve others in ways that help to meet their spiritual and physical needs. Some of the projects will remain the same as last year, but some new ones have been added as well. Here are a few of the proposed projects:
- Chatsworth Veterans Center offers a wide range of psycho-social services and referrals to eligible Veterans, Service members, and their families in the effort to help them make a successful transition from military to civilian life. St. Stephen supports them with a monthly supply of coffee and pastries/cookies and individually packaged snacks.
- Samaritan’s Purse: Animals, Agriculture, and Livelihoods Program
- Operation Gratitude, an organization that sends care packages to: those actively serving in the military, veterans, wounded heroes and their caregivers and to first responders.
- San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission.
- Operation Christmas Child, also known as the Shoe box Ministry, is an international ministry project of Samaritan’s Purse.
- Providing seasonal decorations for residents of a local Convalescent home.
- Food drive for local food pantry
- Angel Tree Project: providing Christmas gifts for a local convalescent hospital
Each weekday, St. Stephen hosts a Senior Lunch in our sanctuary. This program is open to everyone in the community. Hot lunches are provided daily by the City of Los Angeles Department of Aging and sponsored by the Valley Interfaith Council. The nominal charge for a meal is $1.75 for seniors over age 60. Lunches are brought in and served at noon each day. Many of the participants arrive early and appreciate the fellowship offered.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, an exercise program is available and on Wednesdays there are Bingo games. From time to time other programs of interest to seniors are offered.
This is a great way to meet others in the community and experience the fellowship offered.
There are currently three Bible Studies occurring weekly.
- On Thursday afternoons, there is a group of women meeting at 2:00 pm in the Conference room in the Office Building. They have studied a number of series written by a variety of authors. Most series are based on a video presentation, followed by discussion. The length of the study varies, but are usually 6-8 weeks long. All ladies are invited to join!
- Tuesday evenings at 7:00 pm, a small group meets in the Parlor in the Office Building. This group is open to men and women. They, too, offer a wide variety of topics through videos and discussions.. A typical series usually lasts 4-8 weeks.
- There is also a pastor led Bible Study taking place on Wednesday afternoons, beginning about 12:15, following Senior Lunch. All are welcome!